Course In Firearms Safety (10618NAT)
The Course in Firearms Safety (10618NAT) is a prerequisite for new shooters wishing to obtain a firearms licence in Queensland. Courses are held most months at Brisbane Gun Club. This Course is delivered by FORTAC on behalf of Asset College (RTO 31718)
Brisbane Gun Club, Mount Petrie Road, Belmont QLD 4153
A basic introduction to the firearms industry, this course covers the skills and knowledge essential to firearms legislation, firearms in the community, licensing requirements, safe handling, firearms terminology, safe storage and transport, as well as additional information which is essential to all shooters.
This course covers Category A and B weapons.
These are the most common firearms used for sports/target, recreational and occupational shooting activities. Examples of firearms under these categories include:
- Air Rifles
- Single and Double Barrel Shotguns
- Bolt Action Rifles
- Lever Action Rifles
- Pump Action Rifles
- Muzzle Loading Firearm
- Combination Guns (Rifle and Shotgun)
- Paintball Guns
On successful completion of this course, you will receive a Statement of Attainment for 10618NAT Course in Firearms Safety (Approved for Firearms Licensing in Queensland).
This course meets the training requirements to apply for a QLD Weapons Licence for categories A and B.
In order to participate in this course, you must meet the following requirements:
- Must be over 18 years of age (or have written consent from parent/guardian to attend)
- Must not have any physical or other impairment which would prevent you from handling firearms safely – if unsure, seek advice from your GP or contact us to discuss suitability
- Must not have any criminal convictions (relating to drug use, violence or weapons) in the past five years
- Must not have been a subject to a domestic violence order in the past five years
- Must not have been a subject to an involuntary mental health order in the past five years
For more information regarding specific licensing requirements, please visit Weapons Licensing QLD.
Please be advised we are unable to train students on a student visa. You must find a CRICOS registered training provider.
Units of Competency
This course covers the following units of competency:
- WSCQPS001A Demonstrate knowledge of firearms legislation, firearms and community safety
- WSCQPS002A Demonstrate the safe use of category A and B firearms
This course is delivered face-to-face over 8 hours including a live fire range practice at an approved range.
After completing this course, you may be interested in attending further firearms training with Asset College including:
- Firearms Safety Course (Category C and D)
- Crossbow Safety Course (Category M)
- Basic Reloading Course
- Firearms Instructors Course
$140 per person
Firearms Licensing in QLD is administered by the QLD Police Weapons Licensing Branch. Information regarding the licence application process is provided during the course. For more information about licensing or to lodge an online application click here
Note – as part of the licence application, applicants are required to submit evidence of their genuine reason for a firearms licence. Examples of this include:
|Sports/Target Shooting||Membership of a shooting club|
|Recreational Shooting (Hunting)||Details of your property or a letter from a property owner granting permission to use their property|
|Occupational Requirement (including Primary Producers)||Details of your property and the requirement for firearms or a letter from your employer outlining the requirement for you to use firearms|
|Collection of Firearms||Letter outlining the firearms to be collected or membership of an approved firearms collectors guild|
This course does not meet the requirements for a Security Guard Firearms Licence – refer to Asset College (RTO 31718) Firearms and Defensive Tactics course if you intend to apply for a security firearms licence.